College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Meal Plan
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:59 pm 

What is the "meal plan" that you are required to sign up for at some colleges? Is it just paying for your meals in advance, or do you get to tell them what type of meals you would like?

Post subject: Re: Meal Plan
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:31 pm 

Some schools will require you to purchase a meal plan. Mine did. You would sign up at each quarter and it is the number of meals you can eat per week. I believe I had a meal plan that gave me something like 15 meals per week at any of the school's dining halls. If you wanted more you could pay an additional fee per meal at the hall. The dining halls were like buffets. Does that answer your question?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:10 pm 

I went to a small, private school, and the meal plan was included in the price of room and board. Everyone was required to live on campus unless they were 21 and had applied for permission to live off campus. So including all the meals in the tuition and fees made it easy for everyone.

There were usually two main choices for each meal, and then some "grill" choices that were available all the time, like grilled cheese. You could get cereal and fruit any time of day.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:29 pm 

The meals at my college were included in the residence hall fee. They serve 3 meals a day on weekdays, but on weekends, you're on your own to feed yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:29 pm 

If you lived in the dorms you were required to have a meal plan, although you didn't have to actually use it, I think. There were different amounts you could spend, too. I think the cheapest one was for something like 11 meals a week.

Post subject: Meal Plan
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:41 am 

Hi all, Ive been going to the gym with a friend of mine for about a year now but never really got very serious about it. Anyways, Ive finally decided to smarten up once September rolls around and I return to university. Ive already decided on a full body beginner routine and my supplements, leaving one last thing - my diet. Unfortunately, living on residence with a meal plan has its limits. Does anyone have any suggestions or helpful links/threads for me?

Some more information:

My meal plan offers me unlimited meals from 8 AM to 8 PM. The cafeteria is setup where they serve a different meal for breakfast, lunch, and supper at set hours every day. If you miss those hours or you dont like the meal that day you have other options such as soup or making a sandwich.

Sorry if this is a frequently asked question. I looked through all the stickies but couldnt seem to find anything relating to my situation.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:25 pm 

LexDagoaxob wrote:
Hi all, Ive been going to the gym with a friend of mine for about a year now but never really got very serious about it. Anyways, Ive finally decided to smarten up once September rolls around and I return to university. Ive already decided on a full body beginner routine and my supplements, leaving one last thing - my diet. Unfortunately, living on residence with a meal plan has its limits. Does anyone have any suggestions or helpful links/threads for me?

Some more information:

My meal plan offers me unlimited meals from 8 AM to 8 PM. The cafeteria is setup where they serve a different meal for breakfast, lunch, and supper at set hours every day. If you miss those hours or you dont like the meal that day you have other options such as soup or making a sandwich.

Sorry if this is a frequently asked question. I looked through all the stickies but couldnt seem to find anything relating to my situation.

Hi, Lex! Maybe you might want to start a new thread with that question. I think it's a good one. I wish I had an answer for you, but maybe somebody else might....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:54 pm 

About being healthy with the meal plan - choose a bare minimum meal plan if possible, and plan on supplementing with your own salads and other healthy choices. If you have a basic grasp of nutrition choosing the better option is easy. Pile your plate with veggies, eliminate meat or keep it to small portion sizes. If something is covered in cheese chances are you want to avoid it.

Sorry, I don't have much to say in response to the OP. I would not go for a meal plan if I had the choice, though. I like knowing what goes in my food.