College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Online Courses and Exams
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:55 pm 

Has anyone ever taken a distance course from a school that is too far to drive to? The school I am thinking of is a 2-3 hour drive when traffic is decent - not completely ridiculous, but not the kind of drive I want to make right before writing an exam. Does anyone know if schools can arrange to have an exam written at a school closer to the student?

Post subject: Re: Online Courses and Exams
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:00 am 

I don't think that it would be allowed by the school since there will be less control of the situation while taking the examination. It will also take some extra security measures to identify the students.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:55 pm 

I have seen some schools that will do this for students occasionally. You have to get a proctor for the test though. I'm not exactly sure how somebody can be a proctor though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:56 pm 

It depends on the school really. However, the school I go to has proctored exam stations. That means that they have places all around the state, and even in some other states, that are approved to give exams for them. Ask you councilor if they proctor exams and they will be able to tell you if there are closer spots.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:57 pm 

Yes, I have a friend who is taking courses from a school that is two states away. When she has exams that are not open book, they arrange for a proctor with her, and she goes to the proctor's location to take the exam. I don't know if they charge her for it or anything like that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:39 pm 

So I guess it really depends on the school. I did speak to a school near me who is affiliated with the same distance education program (OntarioLearn) and they told me I should be able to write any exam hosted by another school at their location. I've found conflicting education in the student information booklet the far school sent me. Since I didn't receive that until after I had paid for the course, I'm a little worried that I won't be able to make the exam and will have wasted it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:08 pm 

I hope you will be able to get it worked out. Since the place near you is willing to do it you should be OK. You might want to talk directly to the professor and see what he has to say about it.