College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Choosing the right school?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:54 am 

So many times it seems we select an institution because they approached us or were convenient. With so many options out there, what are the factors that lead a prospective student to choosing the best school for them? There are so many factors! Geography, size, availability of online classes, prestige of programs are just a few. What factors do you use or did you use in choosing the right school?

Post subject: Re: Choosing the right school?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:09 pm 

I chose my school based on tuition costs, scholarships available, and location. I needed something that was relatively cheap and close to where I already lived, and hopefully wouldn't be too horrible of a school. If I stayed local I also got a lot of scholarship money, so that helped, too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:30 pm 

This is a great topic and I don't think enough people really look around before choosing a college. I chose one that was close to me and was not too expensive. I'm letting my kids venture out more. The only thing I ask is that they can get financial aid for whatever college they choose.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:49 pm 

For me the location of the school is very important - or an online learning option. I have dogs as well as a parrot who I can't simply cart around with me to school. Obviously the availability of classes I want/need is also very important. Lastly I research the school thoroughly to get a clear idea of what their reputation is like.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:01 pm 

Sad to say, I based my choice on location. Far enough away from the parents but not too far. The beauty of the mountains was another factor. I gave little thought to the curriculum or what I would major in at the time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:14 am 

I chose a place that was close to home and had a good curriculum. I guess I am lucky that I live in a state that has quite a few fantastic colleges.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:02 pm 

I think you also have to consider where you potentially want to live/work after graduation. If you go to school on one side of the country but want to work on the other side, it might be more beneficial for you to go to a school closer to where you want to live. That way you can start networking with people early.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:53 am 

Your thread gave me a lot to think about when choosing my college and profession. I think I am going to pick a college that has a good curriculum. It doesn't really matter where I live, as long as I can have a good paying profession that I enjoy.