College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Touring a college
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:56 am 

How important do you think it is to take a tour before you select a school? Would you ever go to a college that you've never toured? Maybe if they had a great reputation for a program you want to study?

How much did the tour affect what school you chose?

Post subject: Re: Touring a college
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:26 pm 

I think that going on a tour is really great to help you decide if a school is right for you or not. Every school has its own vibe and it's important to make sure that's the kin of environment you want for yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:12 pm 

I would want to be familiar with the college before I went to it. I guess if it was Harvard or Yale or something I wouldn't need a tour.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:37 pm 

I would want to tour a college too. If the college was really far away and had a good reputation then I might not. Still, I wouldn't want to walk blindly in to things.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:50 pm 

I think a tour is helpful in getting to know the school, but personally I can go ahead without one. I prefer to research the school and gather facts. I don't think one walk around the school is likely to give me much accurate/usable information. Of course this depends on the person - I'm used to ignoring the environment so it isn't quite as important to me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:06 pm 

I would want the tour even if I knew it was my first choice. It would give an opportunity for me to familiarize myself with the campus. That would decrease the amount of stress in the first week.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:59 am 

I would never go to a school without touring it first. You may think it's the perfect place to go, but if you step on campus and don't feel a good energy, you'll realize it's not the school for you. I actually toured a school I didn't want to go to, and ended up loving it. So, a tour can surprise you in either a good way or a bad way.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:16 pm 

I think a tour will answer a lot of questions concerning academic programs, campus environment and financial options that are available to them. Plus, getting a real in person feel for the atmosphere is good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:04 pm 

If you already know which school you want to go to, then taking a tour would be, in my opinion, kind of useless. If you're trying to pick between two or more schools, though, a tour would be great.