College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: group projects
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:03 pm 

For online students, how would you work on a group project? Would you have video-conferences? You really need some way for students to collaborate. With all of the technological advancements, I'm sure there's a feasible way to do this.

Post subject: Re: group projects
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:40 pm 

Skype, email and chat rooms come to mind. Unless the university has a system of it's own to connect people for group work. Ask a professor or a peer who has done this.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:38 pm 

Not everyone has the tech needed for Skype and/or video conferences, so a chat room or email would be my choice. All you need is an internet connection, which hopefully, as they're taking an online class, everyone should have!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:59 pm 

I've done group projects online in the past. We collaborated in a forum, kind of like this one. We also occasionally called each other on the phone. It was not a fun thing. I will never take an online class that requires group projects again.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:03 pm 

AliciaM wrote:
I've done group projects online in the past. We collaborated in a forum, kind of like this one. We also occasionally called each other on the phone. It was not a fun thing. I will never take an online class that requires group projects again.

Haha, that does sound terrible! I hate group projects already, and having to talk to group members on the phone sounds like it'd make the situation even worse. :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:08 pm 

AliciaM wrote:

Why was this not a fun thing? Too many cooks in the kitchen so to speak, or just a pain to access and go through all that? Just wondering, so I will know to steer clear with group projects.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:44 pm 

Reagan wrote:
AliciaM wrote:

Why was this not a fun thing? Too many cooks in the kitchen so to speak, or just a pain to access and go through all that? Just wondering, so I will know to steer clear with group projects.

I don't like group projects in general but doing them with distance education was especially painful. So I guess it was a combo of too many cooks and trying to get everybody to be able to talk at the same time. When 4 people were available, 1 wouldn't be. Then you would have those who want to control the group and call you every 5 minutes because you didn't answer their last email yet.