College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Free Classes, No Credit
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:41 pm 

Would you take a class for free if you weren't going to be getting any credit for it? I've seen online classes free from schools like MIT, but you don't register or get credit. It's just a resource to learn. Would you do something like that?

Post subject: Re: Free Classes, No Credit
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:13 pm 

I would, but only if I didn't have to do a load of homework and/or take tests. If I have to take tests/write essays/etc., I want credit for my work, haha!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:18 pm 

greentea wrote:
I would, but only if I didn't have to do a load of homework and/or take tests. If I have to take tests/write essays/etc., I want credit for my work, haha!

I've seen some of these. I think they are called "open courseware" or something like that. There is nothing mandatory that you have to do. It's all self-guided. It's all up to you. They just give you the resources for the class, like syllabus, recommended assignments, and lectures.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:14 pm 

I would definitely do it, especially if there was something I thought I needed a refresher on. I wouldn't want to pay for the class a second time but if I could do it free that would be great.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:21 pm 

Macon wrote:
greentea wrote:

I've seen some of these. I think they are called "open courseware" or something like that. There is nothing mandatory that you have to do. It's all self-guided. It's all up to you. They just give you the resources for the class, like syllabus, recommended assignments, and lectures.

I would definitely do a class like that! Actually, I think there are some free online classes that are like that. You watch or listen to lectures on a subject, and then you can go and do some more reading/write an essay/etc. if you want.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:49 pm 

LadyBug wrote:

I would definitely do a class like that! Actually, I think there are some free online classes that are like that. You watch or listen to lectures on a subject, and then you can go and do some more reading/write an essay/etc. if you want.

Yep, the ones I'm referring to are all online too. I don't think they exist offline. It's all self-taught. If you are good with that kind of thing I think it's a great choice to refresh or get caught up.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:53 am 

I would think it would be great listening to lectures on courses you know you have to take. This would help in getting ahead. And especially good for a more difficult class that you can brush up on.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:01 pm 

I have found some great reading lists on some of the courses for English classes. I think it is a great way to learn before you take a class too. You can go into class with an idea of what you are going to be learning already.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:08 pm 

I would consider it. Even if you don't get official credit, you always gain something from everything you learn. Also, there are times when you want to take a class that wouldn't count toward your degree anyway. In that case, I'd definitely prefer one that was free.