College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Staying close to home?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:47 am 

When you chose your college was staying close to home a big concern for you? I know it was for me being a young student away for the first time. I wanted the safety net of my family close by. I think it would have been so much more difficult had I been farther away.

Post subject: Re: Staying close to home?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:07 pm 

I did not choose one very close to home. I really wanted to get out on my own as far as I could but not be completely cut off from family. I chose one about 4 hours away from my parents. Far enough, but not too far.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:20 pm 

Initially I did, but later I realized it was best not to make that a criterion that would limit my choices. That's what is so great about online colleges. You can live anywhere and attend college anywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:36 pm 

When I started applying to schools, I wanted to get as far away from home as possible. Somehow I ended up at a school about ten minutes from home. Ten minutes proves to still be enough distance. I have my space when I need it and I always have the option of a free dinner at home. As long as you keep boundaries between college life and family life, it works out fine.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:09 pm 

I think CeCe's strategy is a smart one. It's nice for students to be close enough to parents that it isn't a hardship or big expense if they want to go home. However, starting college marks a good time to begin the transition to living independently as an adult.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:25 pm 

Staying near home was not near my thoughts. I looked at this as an opportunity to have some independence and learn to make my own decisions.

My parents initially thought it to be a bad decision but right now, they completely appreciate it.