College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Choosing a college
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:16 pm 

Apart from online reviews, what else do you use to choose a particular institution of study? I always advise people to get in touch with alumni and find out more from them. That way, you can get the real picture on the ground.

Post subject: Re: Choosing a college
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:54 pm 

Taking a tour of a school before applying is really important. Make sure that you actually like the campus. Take a look at the dorms and make sure that is where you want to be living.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:49 pm 

Taking a tour is important for sure. Also - a lot of people look at prestige too. Is this school good enough in my view? Does it have good enough teachers and professors?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:12 pm 

You should also consider the teacher to student ratio and class size if those are important to you. Do you like one-on-one instruction or is a big lecture hall fine?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:20 am 

First, decide how close to home you want to be. Next, decide if you would like living in a particular state/city for the next four years. Then go see the campus. If they offer overnight visits, do that. Take to professors and students while you are visiting. Think about class size. Do you want a big class or smaller classes? Do they offer any major you could possibly want. For example, don't go to a school without a nursing program if you think you'd like to pursue nursing. Finally, it's just a feeling. When you find your school, you'll know.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:07 pm 

I love the mountains. That's how I chose my college. I know it's not a very sound way to choose, but I love the mountains and am very glad I'm here. It's beautiful this time of year.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:49 pm 

If you're going to attend classes on campus, a tour is best especially if you're going to live on campus, too. For online classes, the reputation of the university would be a crucial consideration. I agree that recommendations from current or former students can be a deciding factor for any university whether the classes are online or on campus.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:10 pm 

I chose the University because I was a fan of the Division 1 football team. Let me say that I quickly learned that was not a good enough reason to chose a school :)