College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Religion on campus
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:04 pm 

Schools like Georgetown have very deep religious traditions. What do you think about religion on campus? WHen you went to school, were you religious, or not religious? WHat is your view?

Post subject: Re: Religion on campus
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:11 pm 

I am in school and not religious at all. I chose to go to a public university as to avoid any religious affiliation. My school does have small religious organizations but that's it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:45 am 

Most college cultures do the opposite of promote religion, even if the school has a church affiliation. Many students arrive at college with faith, and leave without it. I don't think this is because they've gotten some great insight, but because most professors are not religious or even anti-religion. At my college, even the head of the religion department was actually rather anti-religion. And that is the bias with which they are teaching.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:49 pm 

Just because a school has a religious affiliation it doesn't necessarily mean that it will try to push that on it's students. I think it just promotes community on campus. I am not religious at all but I don't think going to a school with a religious affiliation would be a bad thing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:48 pm 

Mine's not religious at all, if by "religious" you mean affiliated directly with a religion or religious entity. We did have a pretty big Christian presence, though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:14 pm 

I can definitely understand how the head of a religion department would not be religious. If you spend so much time studying every different religion you probably learn about the similarities among religion as well as consequences of religion.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:29 pm 

I chose to attend a public university that did not have any religious affiliations. Contrary to doing this will be locking out people of different faiths.

Religion is a matter of the heart and I think that ought to be respected.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:02 pm 

I also went to a public university but, in that same town were churches that covered many different religions. I think it's up to the student to attend and become involved if they so choose. I attended several different services off campus when I was in school.