College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: economical choices?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:27 pm 

With so many graduates struggling with student loans, I wish there was more attention given to colleges and universities that provide quality educations that are more affordable. Even U.S. News and World Report still lists colleges such as Yale and Princeton as those offering the most value. Well, maybe they do, but value is a moot point if you can't afford it!

Post subject: Re: economical choices?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:51 pm 

I totally agree. Not only that but you have to be able to get in! I would disagree that those colleges offer the most value. I think they are way too expensive.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:23 am 

You make a really good point. Indeed, there is a great need to make education affordable but of high value. I wonder why we have so many colleges and universities around but only a few stand out.

Do you suppose it is possible to create a level playing field?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:13 am 

I think the bubble has to burst soon. The prices have been going up and up each year. What is the point of diminishing returns? When it is costing you more to get a degree then you can afford, even over many years of paying back loans?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:43 pm 

This may not be the ideal situation for you, but check out the local community college for the first two years and get all the basic stuff out of the way. Then go to the university for your degree. It would be less expensive and may afford you the opportunity to work while attending college. Where there is a will there is a way. I just don't believe it will get less expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:08 pm 

I agree with acquiring as many credits at a community college the first 2 years and then transferring to a university the third or fourth year. Especially for someone like me, who wasted the first year having too much fun only to leave with a huge debt and regret.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:51 pm 

I think the point here is that there are many cheaper alternatives but the truth of the matter is you have to be persevering and tactful.

I concur with your suggestion rayne.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:48 pm 

Community colleges are as undervalued as universities such as Princeton and Harvard are overvalued. Attending an ivy league school isn't something I would consider. I don't think I could concentrate on my studies knowing that I was going to be in debt for the rest of my life.