College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hybrid courses
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:37 pm 

Hybrid courses combine online learning with classes attended on campus. This doesn't seem like it would be a very popular option. The convenience of online colleges is lost if you also have to attend classes in person. Location and scheduling factors would make hybrid classes very difficult for many students.

Post subject: Re: hybrid courses
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:13 am 

I think online learning has the convenience of someone being able to study without necessarily sitting in a class. I would go for an online reputable school without batting an eyelid.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:36 am 

I do agree that the convenience of an online course is taken away when it's a hybrid. I suppose if you still had time to go to class but only on certain days it would be convenient. If you are a parent maybe you can get out of the house 2 or 3 hours on Mondays and go to class but the rest of the time you work at home, or something like that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:53 pm 

I agree with AliciaM. It would work beautifully if you were a mom and could only get out of the house on certain days. I also think that online courses take away the personal touch. I would do hybrid in a heartbeat!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:23 pm 

I took a hybrid course and I loved it. The thing that made it hybrid is that we turned in all our assignments online and watched lectures and things online. Then when we got to class, we'd have group discussions on what we'd learned. This, in turn, made taking tests, doing papers, and doing assignments much easier. It was great!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:54 am 

I can see the advantages, but it seems more like a variation of the traditional class then a variation on distance learning. In other words, if I was already in college at a college, I could see enjoying this option for a class or two. But if I am taking online classes, this would be kind of a pain, it seems like.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:32 am 

It's definitely not an option you would choose if you only wanted an online environment. I think there are advantages and disadvantages to each type of class. I prefer either all online or all in class. For some reason a hybrid just doesn't appeal to me.