College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Meal plan
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:08 am 

Does your school have a meal plan? Do you use the meal plan (or did you if you aren't in college)? Do you think the meal plan is cost-effective or, if not, worth the money?

Post subject: Re: Meal plan
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:46 pm 

Yes, my college did have a meal plan and I took full advantage. I do believe it was cost effective and having been paid for up front, I never went hungry. My dorm room, however, was equipped with peanut butter and crackers for the late night snacks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:01 pm 

Yes, I had a meal plan and was extremely grateful that I always had lunch available. My parents paid for my tuition and the meal plan was an option to include as part of my room and board. Otherwise I think I would have been forced to PB&J and ramen noodles.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:21 pm 

Yes, I have a meal plan at my college. I think it is pretty cost-effective for me. I am given 3 meals a day during the week and 2 meals per day on the weekends. Then, I am also given extra dollars on my card that I can use to buy Starbucks & ice cream. I really can't complain much about that!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:05 am 

Everybody jokes about cafeteria food, but I think it's really good. Who has time to go to the grocery? Some students don't even have a car. The meal tickets were a really good deal where I got my undergraduate degree.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:53 pm 

I like my meal plan because they basically give you a card with actually money on it to use, as opposed to a card that deducts a total meal anytime you go to the cafeteria. You can go and just get a snack, or use a variety of food places on campus. It's for sure worth the money. And if you don't use all the money on your card, you get a refund check, which is great.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:40 pm 

I like that so many schools require a meal plan. I believe that many students would go without food if they didn't have a meal plan and it's a way to ensure that students at least have access to meals. I think the food in our dining halls was pretty good with a lot of healthy and unhealthy options.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:35 pm 

My freshman and sophomore years I had the meal plan but it was costing me about $5000 a year and when you are paying out of your own pocket then that is a lot of money. I worked at one of the on campus pizza places though so I never went hungry either.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:21 am 

If you stay in a dorm here, then you are required to get a meal plan. I have a meal plan, and I am glad I do. I do not have time to go grocery shopping, and I do not have storage room for the food. I have to give credit to our lunch ladies, too! They are excellant cooks, and I enjoy meal time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:54 pm 

Our campus doesn't have a dorm or cafeteria I don't have a meal plan and I eat and make everything from home. I think that planning a menu every week on what is on sale is very cost effective.