College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 4 years on campus
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:12 am 

I just found out that all students at Notre Dame, even upper classmen, must live on campus for the entire duration of their education there. Have you experienced this anywhere else? Would you want to live on campus all 4 years?

Post subject: Re: 4 years on campus
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:41 pm 

This is strange, did the schools state why it was a requirement to live on campus, for your duration there? I do not think I would enjoy being told, that I had to live on campus. The campus better have awesome housing, because I could not live in a tiny dorm room, for four years!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:05 pm 

My college had the rule, when I was there, that you had to live on campus unless you were 21+ or in your final year. They did this so that it would not become a "suitcase" school and to promote community. There was no Greek system, and what dorm you lived it was a little bit like what fraternity or sorority you were in.

They have since revoked that rule, possibly because most of the dorms went co-ed. As a result, they have become somewhat of a "suitcase school". There is far less community, from what I understand.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:40 pm 

It's a good idea for some schools. If you are going to attend college on campus, you might as well take full advantage of the experience. It does promote a better sense of community. There will always be colleges for those who choose to commute or live off-campus.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:08 am 

That would be a really tricky situation. I wouldn't want to picture such a situation. A slight change in accommodation plans is a really good idea.

I haven't come across such campuses by the way.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:55 pm 

That's weird and expensive. My school doesn't care where you live. They highly recommend you live on campus at least the first two years, and I think it's a good idea, but forcing someone to live on campus for the duration of their education is a bit much to ask. However, I've been on the Notre Dame campus and it is beautiful. Maybe it would be fun to live on campus all four years if everyone is in the same boat.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:37 pm 

Well, I have not been on the Notre Dame campus before. However, I hold the view that forcing someone to stay in campus for the entire duration sort of gets rid of any thrill that might exist in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:50 pm 

I have heard of them making college students for the first year live on campus but not all four. I think that have to have a good reason for it like grades are better or something.