College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Florida State University has a GREAT Online Program
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:58 am 

http://online.fsu.edu/

I am currently part way through their graduate program in Information Studies. I LOVE the program. It is a REAL academic University that is steeped in tradition. They have a solid distance learning program and it can be brutal!

I would recommend FSU to anyone considering an online/distance learning program.

~ Lissa Valerian

Post subject: Re: Florida State University has a GREAT Online Program
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:25 pm 

Thanks for posting the info. I'll have to check it out soon. Hopefully its as good as your glowing testimony. :P

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:43 am 

elvenrunelord wrote:
Thanks for posting the info. I'll have to check it out soon. Hopefully its as good as your glowing testimony. :P

Maybe I'm a bit biased, but I have really enjoyed my terms at FSU. It's a great university!

~LV

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:59 am 

Would this be open for international student too? I think it's great to have an US university on my resume, and if I can't come to the US to study, I would like to study from home.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:24 pm 

I'm in the same situation as Jessje... I'd take those exams... if they were compatible

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:34 pm 

Jessje wrote:
Would this be open for international student too? I think it's great to have an US university on my resume, and if I can't come to the US to study, I would like to study from home.

FSU is a fully accredited state university, it has an excellent reputation, and yes, accepts international students. I am aware of students being in my program who were from across the pond so to speak. There are time zone issues of course, because some of the courses do require synchronous as well as asynchronous meetings, ie, once a week you'll meet in a chatroom while the professor "lectures" on some topic, or shares some bit of info, or has an open "q&a" session. But yeah, there were a LOT of students from overseas that were in the program. You'll just have to read up on what their requirements are for international students. Let me know if you have any specific questions, because I can help you out directly if you're interested in getting into the CI program specifically.

~LV

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:17 pm 

LissaValerian wrote:

I am currently part way through their graduate program in Information Studies. I LOVE the program. It is a REAL academic University that is steeped in tradition. They have a solid distance learning program and it can be brutal!

I would recommend FSU to anyone considering an online/distance learning program.

~ Lissa Valerian

Classes through extensions of brick and mortar universities usually carry more weight than those from schools that are online only. Extension programs are associated with schools that existed before the internet, as a rule. Their reputations are much better than the newer schools popping up online.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:23 am 

I wouldn't like to take an online course. I would rather be able to talk to the professor directly if I were having problems. I never have done this, but I have only been to community colleges.

And what's to stop some idiot online in a "chat classroom" to flood the room with stupid messages like "what would you do if..."???? :-D

But as for FSU...if they offered my major or my fiancee's major, I'd check it out.

I'm Nursing onto Pharmacy someday and she's Forensic Science..FYI although I'm sure some of you know that already.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:29 am 

LissaValerian wrote:

~ Lissa Valerian

can any one apply to it? or this is only open to US resident?