College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Online education?
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:59 pm 

Can I earn an accredited Bachelor Degree in Education online?
Hey everyone. I was just wondering if anyone knew of an accredited online university where I can earn a Bachelor Degree in Education? I would like to teach grades K-8. I would prefer to go to a state university but I guess I can't be to picky. Thanks for any info!

Post subject: Re: Online education?
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:22 pm 
Site Admin

Hey, thanks for coming to our site!

The two best online colleges you may want to check out for Online Teaching Degrees would be The University of Phoenix and Walden University.

The University of Phoenix offers a Bachelor of Science in Education/Elementary Education.

Walden University offers a Teacher Perparation program.

In most cases, you can obtain a Bachelor's degree in anything you like, then you take courses to become certified as a teacher. Each state has different requirements for certification, so the best way to proceed is to contact the education department or licensing office in your state.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:17 am 

I've always thought that online courses were a hoax. Good to know that's not the case.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:38 am 

Online couses are very good and helpful. You can attend them in your free time, pretty cool.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:24 pm 

Online educational opportunities are not a hoax. That attitude has slowed down the popularity of this wonderful opportunity for everyone with a pc to get access to higher learning opportunities. Personally I think all this stuff should be free. It would be a much more worthy thing to devote our tax money to when compared to spending a billion a day in the iraq wars.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:10 am 

Getting a degree out of online education would be comfortable;however you have to look for Online Institution that are most accredited so that you will not have any problem in the future.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:44 am 

accrediting is an important thing to check for as so many people are so concerned about meeting certain standards. I'm not so concerned with that myself. if someone can do a job they can do it, the lack of a couple college hours makes no different in the real world except to those who are to tight butted to know different. lol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:05 pm 

elvenrunelord wrote:
accrediting is an important thing to check for as so many people are so concerned about meeting certain standards. I'm not so concerned with that myself. if someone can do a job they can do it, the lack of a couple college hours makes no different in the real world except to those who are to tight butted to know different. lol

well, thats the question though, isn't it. I can get a degree from some mailorder college and not have any provable skill whatsoever. The point of accreditation is to make sure that you're actually getting a legitimate degree and not just some mailorder piece of bogus paper. You're right, it will show in the work a person does, and there are different levels and standards of accreditation, but while it may seem to be a bit anal, it is there for a purpose, to make sure that the people that come out of those institutions are actually learning what they should be for the jobs they're going to be doing. Online institutions got a bad rep for quite a while because of these mailorder degrees. But now with distance education becoming a more popular thing, it can be difficult to weed out what is legit from what is just bogus diploma mills. And that unfortunately impacts the workplace.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now. :-)

~LV

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:04 am 

Lissa is right. If you are planning to take an online degree, the very first step to do is to search for an accredited online institution. You can check out Council for Higher Education Accreditation for the lists of accredited institutions.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:19 pm 

Another great school is Ashford University. They set their course up so that you do a semester (or class) in 5 weeks. The course are tough--but well worth it.

And yes, it is an accredited University. If you want more information just google Ashford University.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:22 pm 

very useful thread... really... I'm gonna get an online degree sometime

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:37 am 

Speaking as a stay at home mother, I don't know how I would do it if I weren't able to take courses online! I have four children and one is disabled. Getting out into the "real world" is a very difficult thing for me. I am so happy that there are online courses so that I can complete some type of degree. So in short the answer to your question is YES, you can get a REAL degree online :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:07 am 

And the work at your own pace programs offered online are so helpful if you have a hectic schedule.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:00 am 

They offer so much online now. Which is really great! this makes it so much easier for people with busy lives.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:08 pm 

Online education for teaching won't et you into a classroom. Most of the school districts don't recognize online education, as far as I know.