College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Going back to college when you are older
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:04 pm 

Do you think it is harder to go back to school when you are older and have been out for awhile? I am 31 and already have an Associate's of Applied Science (w/ Legal Assisting certification) but have not been using my degree since graduation. When my current job is finished in 3 years I want to go back to school to get my law degree. Anybody who has experience with this---was it hard to go back and did you feel like you were behind everyone else?

Post subject: Re: Going back to college when you are older
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:55 pm 

Behind everyone else? not really- I put in tons of time to catch up. Believe me when you are older and the college is mostly younger students- you don't want to look like you have no idea what you are doing.
I say go for it though- Take some refresher courses if you need to. I took pre-calc before taking calc again. You also have to be careful that your courses will transfer in- So many laws change-- you will want to check that out as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:26 pm 

I think many of the colleges gear towards working people because college is so expensive. You will find that many adults go back to school these days---it really isn't hard to go into college at an older age. I actually believe you learn more because you are ready to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:24 pm 

I think it's hard going back and being the old person in class.... A lot of my classes were filled with kids that were right out of high school- the second time around- I felt like an outsider at first.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:57 am 

If you go to school in the evening or one of the private colleges, you will find older adults in the program. In fact, what is funny, as that most drop outs will be the younger students. No, I did not find it hard to go back and I was about 31, and fit right in with the ages around me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:12 pm 

I am just worried because the classes will be a lot of technical knowledge. Legal jargon and how to do motions and filings, etc. I am not sure where I could take a refresher in that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:32 pm 

I love being back in, though I'm not that far from my fellow students age-wise (usually between four and five years difference). I'm the guru in class who everybody comes to for editing and advice. Makes me feel so smart.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:44 pm 

I think the key is finding a college that offers night classes and has a lot of non-traditional students. The one I went back to- is a great college and very hard to get into- however they did not cater to the non-traditional students. Very few night classes and most of the student population was young.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:38 am 

if you're worried about being out of the loop in terms of related terms/jargon and, in some cases procedures, why not look into a community college to see if they offer courses that would get you on track before going back to school on a more full time basis?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:33 am 

I did it. I already had a master's degree and went back to get a second master's as part of a career change. I didn't feel behind my younger peers. I felt like I was way ahead of them. Also, the more mature members of the class seemed more organized, focused and determined.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:46 pm 

I did it, but had a hard time. For me it was hard going back later in life.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:52 pm 

I don't think that you'll be that much older than some of the other students. Many adults do go back but if you feel uncomfortable how about taking some of your courses at night? There are far many adults taking classes during the evening hours. But, no matter when you go back I don't think you should feel funny. If you have the chance to get more education you should run for it.