College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why smaller private colleges are better
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:08 pm 

I have attended both a large public university and a smaller private university. Of the two I have to say I learned better at the smaller university. The classes were smaller and more personal. The professors had more in depth knowledge of the subject matter as most of them were in the field they taught. They also had more time to spend one on one with students when they needed help. A large university professor might have well over 1000 students in a semester while the smaller university professor might only have 100. I loved my experience with a private university---any one else?

Post subject: Re: Why smaller private colleges are better
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:25 pm 

I agree--- the prof/student ratio is better. It's more personal- you aren't just a number you are a name.
I had no problems in the larger university either though- I learned about the same.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:00 am 

The smaller universities teachers are not just a professor, but usually they work in the specific field you are studying. For example, I went in for accounting and most of my teachers were active accounts, CPA's, Financial Advisors, CEO's and etc. I learned more about the real world with the smaller schools, because they were not really professors, but actively working in the field.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:08 pm 

Exactly Cassie---it was a more hands on experience. I went for Legal Assisting and my professor was a practicing lawyer. My accounting class was taught by a practicing CPA. I think you gain more real world knowledge that way. It is easy to teach theory but better to teach experience.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:14 am 

Yeah, my big, public university annoyed me. Not only were there so many students that you didn't have a hope of approaching the prof, they usually got scared by the sheer volume of students running at them and got out of the class as quick as possible.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:19 pm 

after attending both, i definitely preferred a smaller school... although if i were to go back, i'd probably go larger just because it can save some cash

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:43 pm 

Anymore, at least where I live the private universities are pretty comparable in price. The public universities have been raising tuition and fees like crazy. That said if I go back to school I will be heading to a public university as well--not to save money per se but because the law school I want to attend is a public university.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:35 am 

You make some valid points. I have been in both types of settings as well. My experience at a huge university was actually very positive. Maybe it was because I was a grad student and had access to the top scholars in my field.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:25 am 

Are they better? who knows the stats for both are very similar I think different people learn in different situations some better one on one and others better in a larger group.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:51 pm 

I think the future will be filled with smaller colleges that are filled with people who actually work in a community. We must however guard that this does not slip back into the tried and abandoned concept of apprenticeship that was common in monarchies of the past. I feel that transparancy of classes over the internet and a open source sharing of technological developments could prevent this from happening while allowing community economies to prosper on a local level where it really matters.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:33 pm 

This makes a lot of sense to me. It would only be better with the more teachers to less students.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:00 am 

I think it also depends on the major you are pursuing
some fields of study benefit from great number of students

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:59 pm 

I first went to a small college where there were only 5,000 students and it was there that I learned to finally appreciated education. I loved it there.

I then transferred to a much larger college and I felt like a grain of sand. At the first college I was an individual but at the second college I was just like everyone else.

Smaller colleges are much better.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:33 am 

Hi,
I totally agree with this... Means the small collage means the small strength of the student in one class so they can learn batter.

Thanks!!!