College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Favorite class?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:47 pm 

Which A&H class was the best you've ever taken? The one that changed your life? The one that you can't stop thinking about and wish you could take again?

For me, I think it was my James Joyce class. It wasn't a particularly fun class, but it was the first time I read modern lit and that's a life-changing thing right there. ;)

Post subject: Re: Favorite class?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:02 am 

What is James Joyce, exactly? I'm not familiar with it. I can't say which is my favorite, but I know which one I hate - math!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:19 am 

I know of a James Joyce pub that I used to hang out in in Maryland. I believe he was a writer, so most likely, this would be an English class...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:44 am 

My favorite class would have to have been Philosophy. I am intrigued by the study of existence, knowledge, and values. I enjoyed learning about the great philosophers of ancient times and how their ideas have impacted our society. It was a very interesting class that I would love to take again.

Then again, maybe I will have that chance when I re-enroll in school!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:35 am 

I loved my Literary Theory and Criticism class. It was this course which made me understand and appreciate the process and output of creative writing and identify what makes a literary work a masterpiece.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:09 pm 

Think Tank wrote:
What is James Joyce, exactly? I'm not familiar with it. I can't say which is my favorite, but I know which one I hate - math!

James Joyce was an Irish author who wrote some of the most important and influential Modern novels in the 20th century. He wrote A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, Dubliners, Ulysses, and Finnegan's Wake, to name a few.

So yeah, it was an English class. :)

My favorite class was Shakespeare. The professor was a lot of fun and very passionate about Shakespeare's works, so it made going to the class a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:28 pm 

One thing I love about courses in arts and humanities is that the professors are usually very passionate about their work. My favorite class so far has been an English course where the theme was crime and punishment. We watched documentaries about serial killers and then wrote some samples based on inspiration from them. We read stories like Shirley Jackson's The Lottery and discussed them. So much fun.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:42 am 

I took Reading Poetry class that I would have to say was my favorite of all-time. The texts were rich, the discussion was deep and the criticism was on target. Thanks for reminding me of that wonderful time.