College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Would you discourage your child away from a theater degree?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:33 pm 

I want my children to be happy and fulfilled, but I also want them to be able to make a living. I have one who is really intrigued by the idea of getting her degree in theater. I can understand the appeal, but am worried that it is unrealistic.

What would you do?

Post subject: Re: Would you discourage your child away from a theater degr
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:24 pm 

There are a lot of jobs in theater that can be applied to other areas. Directing, casting, prop management, lights, sound, etc. can be used in a variety of ways. As long as she doesn't have her heart set on being an actress I think she'll be okay. And besides-most kids change their major after the first year anyways.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:42 pm 

I agree with Kaitlyn-- there are tons of jobs in areas other than acting, and you can make decent-ish money doing them if you're willing to work hard.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:06 pm 

If the child is passionate about getting a theater degree I would let them follow their passions. When a person is young they should explore those kinds of things. There will be plenty of time for change if the kid decides to do something else.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:04 pm 

I'll go the other way and say that I would encourage my child to be very sure about what they wanted to do before committing to a highly specialized degree. There definitely are things you can do with a theater degree. But it is not easy to make a living in the entertainment industry. If that's what she really wants to do, I would support her. But I would really talk it through with her to make sure she has thought through what she wants long-term.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:11 pm 

Yeah, sitting down with her and going over the pros and cons would be a good idea. I really don't think you need to encourage her or discourage her, just look at it realistically.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:55 pm 

Better look at the job market and the availability of what she wants to do. The ultimate goal for a child is that they be self sufficient. If she can't make a living, then you will end up feeding her for a long time to come. I personally want mine to stand on their own.
:D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:46 am 

Much of it depends on the individual, their talents, work ethic, and if they have a passion for something. I would rather my child pursue a challenging field with drive and determination than settle for a practical alternative for which they might have only minimal interest. Talking with people who have worked in theater could be very helpful.