College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Journalism
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:18 pm 

I'm posting this out of curiosity. My SO took and completed journalism in college. He has never really used the degree aside from writing a couple of sports articles here and there. He works in a completely different field (put simply, building gadgets for the government - pretty cool), and he's doing well, but I'm wondering if there are any less obvious uses for a journalism degree?

Post subject: Re: Journalism
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:32 pm 

Many journalism majors often go on to work behind the scenes in television, working as news correspondents and producers. You can also use a journalism degree to get a job doing any kind of editing. I have a friend who studied journalism and ended up editing an online law publication. So, basically any job that requires research, writing, or editing, would like to have the skills a journalist would have.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:40 pm 

Many journalism majors end up working in the publishing field. Public relations is another possibility. There's always a need in any industry for people with good written communication and analytical skills even if the job doesn't require writing full-time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:59 am 

I might be wrong, but you might be able to work at a radio station with a journalism degree. If your SO likes his job now, why are you curious what he can do with that degree? Sorry, I am just curious.