College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is a Degree Necessary?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:44 am 

Do you really need a degree if you are interested in the arts? Even something like web design seems like a field where experience would be more valued than a degree.

Post subject: Re: Is a Degree Necessary?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:37 am 

I think a degree would help if you want to work for someone somewhere. Even in theater tech, where experience probably is more important, a degree would nevertheless give you a leg up over the competition.

However, if you want to work for yourself, especially as a freelance web designer or something, you probably wouldn't need a degree (or at least not a degree in that field). It might be nice for your credentials, but I don't think your clients are going to ask for your school transcripts to prove you're a good designer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:22 pm 

A lot of people go to art school for becoming painters/sculptors, etc. However, if you were going for web design or something, I'd say having a showcase of your experience designing websites would be the best way to get yourself out there. This is the way.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:29 pm 

If you want to make any kind of serious money then a degree is necessary. The degree can be the thing that sets you apart. However, the degree alone won't do it for you. You have to have talent and dedication too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:34 pm 

If you want to teach or do graphic design you need to get a degree. If you are going in to classic art then it is more about experience and getting your art out there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:19 am 

Do you want to work for yourself? Then maybe you can just use your native experience. But when you are in competition with others, people look at credentials. The degree shows a commitment to your field.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:57 am 

A degree looks good on a resume, but if you can create good websites, I would think you only have to prove it. Also, if you have done a few good ones, the work should actually start coming in just by word of mouth.

Post subject: Is a Degree Necessary
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:26 pm 

I have the following problem-I have more than 10 years of experience but I dont have a degree. This gives me a hard time to find a decent job and usually it is not well paid. I realize that I need to get a certificate but I dont have time. Any advice?

Post subject: Re: Is a Degree Necessary
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:06 pm 

chaipsSeich wrote:
I have the following problem-I have more than 10 years of experience but I dont have a degree. This gives me a hard time to find a decent job and usually it is not well paid. I realize that I need to get a certificate but I dont have time. Any advice?

There are online courses you can take and you can have the certificate after you finish the course. The good thing in online courses is that you can control your study time.

As for getting a degree, if you want to work for other people then a degree is needed. If you want to work as a freelance or start your own company then experience is more important than a degree.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:52 am 

Much like any other art, sometimes you just have to get the degree because the job of your choice requires it. Most web design/graphic arts jobs require a certificate of some sort, showing that you are well versed in the required programing. Also, while school is expensive, it will most likely expose you to new ways of doing things. That's why artists go to school, to be exposed to things they may not have found themselves.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:39 pm 

I think natural talent is absolutely necessary, as well as experience, but a degree can really open up opportunities you would not have otherwise. I agree with the poster above who said that if you want to work for yourself, it's not as necessary.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:07 am 

Regardless of your field, there really is not a substitute for education. To what extent you can get by without it depends on your experience and ability to sell yourself among other factors. If you're self-employed, the degree itself is obviously not required, but the knowledge you need to produce quality work is necessary.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:25 am 

I completely agree, if you are going to work for yourself, then a portfolio of your work is often more than enough to gain clients but when looking for a job working for others a degree is often necessary to get a leg up on the competition.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:52 am 

A degree may not be necessary, but it can give you a leg up. If I were you, I would get a degree, and build my portfolio, at the same time. It will look better on you, if you have a degree, and portfolio work to show for it. You also need a fair amount of natural talent. You have to be better than others, and know how to set yourself apart.