College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hardest Foreign Language
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:03 am 

Which foreign language do you think is the most difficult to learn? I've heard from a friend that Russian is very difficult but Chinese is the hardest because of the many characters there are.

Post subject: Re: Hardest Foreign Language
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:13 am 

I have heard a lot of people say that Chinese is a difficult language to learn. I think one reason is the characters in its writing system. I heard that Chinese is a very tonal language. A slight variation in the pitch or stress can change in the meaning of a word.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:19 am 

I have heard Japanese is also very challenging because there are so many different forms of address depending on social status between the speakers, so it can be easy to unintentionally offend others.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:06 am 

I think that both Japanese and the Chinese languages are difficult to learn. Both are tonal and are written in characters, not letters. Chinese characters are the oldest writing system in the world.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:15 pm 

I agree that Chinese is probably the hardest, however it's important to remember that there is more than one Chinese language. So there is also that to contend with. I think any language that does not use the same letters as English would be very difficult for me to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:27 pm 

Chinese (Mandarin/Cantonese), Japanese, and Thai would probably be the hardest for someone used to speaking only English or Romantic languages, I think. But I bet if you asked a non-English speaker they'd say English was the hardest!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:03 pm 

I did a quick reseach and found Polish is often considered the hardest foreign language to learn. It's followed closely by Finnish, Hungarian, Estonian, and Chinese.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:33 am 

I've heard different things. One person told me Russian is the hardest but I've heard it's not as hard as languages like Cantonese where you are dealing with an entirely new character system. I guess it depends on what languages you are starting out knowing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:20 am 

I would think that any of the Asiatic languages like Chinese, Japanese, etc would be the most difficult. There are so many different dialects and the intonation of your voice really makes a big difference in the meaning of the words.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:48 pm 

My sister in law had to learn Slovak to be able to teach in Slovakia. It took her a long time and a lot of study and work to master it. It was not easy.