College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can art be learned?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:19 pm 

I'm curious if anyone here has gone into visual arts (not including design...I'm thinking point in line with painting/drawing) without an evident talent but had managed to get down the techniques? Some people just have the talent, sure, but for those who don't, to what degree can it be taught?

Post subject: Re: Can art be learned?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:49 pm 

I think that art is something that can be learned if you put in the effort to learn it. It would probably be tough if you lacked natural talent but I think practicing and learning new techniques can help you out a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:08 am 

I think that the techniques can be taught, however, you have to have a natural ability for art. You also have to have a strong passion and desire to learn the craft.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:15 am 

I guess you can enroll and learn the techniques and may even produce good works, but I think a natural knack for art makes a big difference.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:35 pm 

There is no substitute for having an "artist's eye" although you could also say there's no substitute for hard work and determination. If you have a really dedicated student and a brilliant instructor, amazing things can happen.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:42 pm 

I think that art is a combination of both natural ability and learned technique. A natural artist can be limited by lack of knowledge. Having knowledge but no natural ability also is not going to lead to success.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:53 am 

I think there has to be a natural drive and passion first. Next, there needs to be a bit of a natural skill. Once you have those basics, you have the ability to learn new techniques and mix them with what you already naturally have. I think that goes for any art from writing to painting.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:27 pm 

Macon wrote:
I think that art is a combination of both natural ability and learned technique. A natural artist can be limited by lack of knowledge. Having knowledge but no natural ability also is not going to lead to success.

I agree with this.

I also think that many artistic techniques can be learned, though I am not sure that everyone can learn them. I do not have any apparent natural ability to draw, but when I took an art class I was able to learn enough about technique to produce decent work. Of course, as soon as I stopped using those skills, I lost most of them.