College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Plays Required for Theater Class
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:33 pm 

For an online theater class I am taking next semester I am going to be required to attend at least two presentations of plays. Has anybody else had to do this? Did you enjoy the productions? I'm looking forward to it.

Post subject: Re: Plays Required for Theater Class
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:08 pm 

I wasn't a theater major student but I did attend several plays. I love this kind of performance, especially musicals. I remember watching a version of West Side Story and something about St. Francis of Assisi.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:33 pm 

I haven't taken any theater classes, but I went to a play that a friend was in. I enjoyed it, but it's not something I would want to do often.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:14 am 

I loved going to plays. Does it matter who is doing it? I know high schools sometimes put on surprisingly good (and cheap) productions but you might have to see a community theater play.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:09 pm 

Yes, this was a requirement for the theater appreciation classes at my college. You had to go and bring a program into class to get credit for it. The theater department offered free tickets to anyone who wanted to usher, so that was a good deal. Many theaters have that policy, actually.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:59 pm 

I had to do that for one of my theater classes, too! I also had to write a summary about what I thought of the play/the production/etc.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:19 pm 

This is something that I am doing right now. The problem is that I took an online class so I could travel but one of the plays has to be seen at the school offering the online course. Looks like I'm going to miss points on that one.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:26 pm 

I would imagine that you will be writing some kind of critique of the play. Are musicals an option? That would be my preference although I love theater whether it's a dramatic play or a musical.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:52 am 

I didn't take any theater classes but a roommate did. I love attending plays and didn't need an incentive to do so, so we made it a girls night and went to several together.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:24 pm 

Jarrah wrote:
I would imagine that you will be writing some kind of critique of the play. Are musicals an option? That would be my preference although I love theater whether it's a dramatic play or a musical.

For my class I don't necessarily have to write a critique, but a paper that just explains different elements of the play. Musicals are an option, as long as it's a stage play. Musicals can be cheesy but also a lot of fun if they are done right.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 pm 

Yes, I too had to attend plays for Theater class. At first I was kind of annoyed that I had to do that, but it really is smart to actually see productions, especially ones that you probably wouldn't have seen anyway. Most theaters, at least where I go, are good about having student discounts or free tickets, so it just ended up taking up some of my time. In the end, some of the shows were worth it, and others were just boring. Overall, it was a good experience. I had to see shows for my Intro to Drama class, which focused on plays in a literature class.