College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: what you love versus best job prospects
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:15 pm 

There are so many areas in arts and humanities that I would love as a career. Philosophy and literature are two that especially appeal to me. But what do you think the job prospects are realistically for either of those?

Post subject: Re: what you love versus best job prospects
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:33 am 

It depends on what you want to do, really. Once you figure that out you'll probably have to get a masters or something as well, because the problem with a general literature or arts degree is that it's so vague you don't really qualify for anything except maybe teaching. (And even then, you'd have to get a teaching certificate.)

...you could go to law school and become a lawyer! That way you win both ways, I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:51 am 

You need to find a focus within one of those areas before you can determine the job prospects. Philosophy encompasses a vast amount of possibilities as does literature. You could teach, write, or do a hundred other things.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:13 pm 

I just read that some software companies hire philosophy majors. Apparently they feel that the logic-based studies prepare you well. Software programming isn't really something I've thought about, but I'm feeling more and more that philosophy is a fabulous foundation for many areas. Since I love to write, I might minor in journalism since it would particularly complement a major in philosophy. Thanks to both of you for your input and suggestions!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:09 pm 

When you have a degree in the humanities, you just have to get creative with internships and part-time jobs while in school. For example, if you have an English degree, try to get an internship doing public relations at a bank. Or get a part-time job working in a local business, while continuing your degree. You'll get experience outside of what is thought of as traditional humanities jobs or markets, and you can use those to promote yourself when getting a job. It's worked for a lot of my friends who have recently graduated.