College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is this essential if you have your own business?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:43 am 

I want to start a small business and I am wondering if I should get a degree in business management. I don't really want to delay in getting my business off the ground, but at the same time, I want to do it right. Should I start my business and take an online course, or should I just wait to start my business until I have my degree?

Post subject: Re: Is this essential if you have your own business?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:15 am 

Good question. I think it depends on how much experience you've already got with business.

An awful lot of people who start their own businesses do so without the benefit of a degree. So it can be done! There are tons of resources out there for small business owners, and there is usually a government agency that even offers helpful classes. Maybe you could look into those, and start taking college classes toward a degree, on the side, while you are getting your business off the ground?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:13 pm 

I honestly don't think so. Opening one's own business is going to require more than the business owner anyway. You will most certainly need a lawyer and some other advisers, even for opening the smallest business.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:09 am 

I know of and read about a couple of businessmen who didn't have a business degree but were able to put up a business and it was a success. However, this is not to say that such success stories always happen to all aspiring businessmen...But personally, I think that a crash course, short course or online course on business management is something to be considered. Setting up a business requires more than financial resources or enthusiasm. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:32 am 

I don't think you really need a business degree to be able to put up your own business. There are guidelines online and offline on how it should be done and there are also government agencies that could help you. Just make sure that you get all the help and guidance to abide by all the local and national laws.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:26 pm 

Maybe you should take only those courses that focus on what you need to learn. You could also look into finding a mentor. If your business is service-oriented, maybe there's a certification you could obtain that would be helpful in gaining clients.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:15 am 

I do not believe you need a business degree to operate a successful business. I would recommend a good CPA and a mentor would help. There are so many good computer programs out there now that help track your business, expenses, payroll, etc. that it's pretty simple. Do practice good PR though. Word of mouth sells more than any advertising.