College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trump and the ultra rich agree: forget about college
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:40 am 

If you've got what it takes, you don't need college, you're just wasting your time. If you don't have what it takes, then college is for you: you'll end up in the corporate machinery, a mere turning wheel.

Post subject: Re: Trump and the ultra rich agree: forget about college
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:40 am 

I hate these statements from Donald Trump. You can finish college and succeed even more.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:32 pm 

Oh trump might be right if you are rich to begin with. However for the average person looking for success your going to need that college diploma to get any kind of financial backing to support your ideas. Go try and get a loan from a legitimate bank and give them your business plan and see their reaction when you show having no experience in running a project. Guess what...college counts as experience dude.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:24 pm 

mish3v wrote:
I hate these statements from Donald Trump. You can finish college and succeed even more.

Not necessarily. College requires students think a certain way, which doesn't nurture the innovation it takes to be a Bill Gates or a Donald Trump. College can afford higher paying positions while working for someone else, but that doesn't lead to the sort of wealth you see with a Bill Gates or a Donald Trump.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:36 pm 

I disagree. Unless you're some kind of inventor or entrepreneur--and if you are, fine, then you can forget about college, but unless you fall into that category, you need it. Yes without a degree you can GET BY working as a secretary, or a server, or a bartender, or as a middle manager at a store, but you certainly won't be sitting in the lap of luxury.

I do agree that some majors are quite useless and not employable, but I still say the way to a better future is through higher education, in some major that will afford you a comfortable lifestyle.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:20 am 

Trump says that yet he attended two universities. I'm sure they helped at least a bit.

Meh. I don't really agree with that assessment. Sure, you need a little extra something in your personality to get a fortune flowing, but a degree can really help get you on the path in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:36 am 

mish3v wrote:

I totally agree with you..i also even don't agree with this statement.
i have seen people becoming much better with education then what they would have been without education.
People do become rich with the Education...Just don't forget the salary Package Vodafone CEO draws...it is in excess of GBP 25 million per year....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:54 pm 

I don't know. Sure, you can make a lot of great real estate deals and make a ton of money, but there are those fields that you can't just luck into - say, medicine. I doubt that even the donald would feel okay about going to a doc without a degree (or a dentist, or a lawyer, or...)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:28 am 

I agree with you guys. If you are born with money and connections, perhaps not foregoing college won't hinder you. But for the rest of us, a college education is a prerequisite for becoming gainfully employed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:30 pm 

I would never call college a waste of time. After all, it is better to have more education than less. Granted some have been successful without an education but would you want to take such a chance?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:21 am 

here's how I see it:

If you have business talent, you will succeed with or without college, if you work hard
if you do not have business talent, college might teach you and help you fit in into the big picture