College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Degree vs. certifications
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:53 pm 

I know that about 10 years ago, when my husband was looking into changing careers, it seemed like a lot of people were breaking into IT by getting all their Microsoft certifications. Is that still the case now, or has it gotten to where you must have a degree to make a career in computers?

Post subject: Re: Degree vs. certifications
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:18 am 

I believe that since there are so many people with certifications in the IT field, that a degree would give you a better chance of landing a job. It would show that you are more well rounded and have other studies under your belt.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:03 pm 

It probably just depends on what the employer is looking for. Maybe they just have a need for someone with certain certifications, and they don't care about a degree.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:28 pm 

I think that the field is a lot more competitive now. I would recommend a degree to give you an edge over your competition. I suppose it does depend on the specific field though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:14 am 

Sometimes employers look at both your certification and your degree. There are some subjects that you won't be taking up when you are getting your degree so an additional certification won't hurt.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:45 pm 

If an employer is smart, he/she will look for experience as well as the degree. Whatever you have, go in with confidence and knowlege. Sometimes degrees are a hinderance rather than a help.:geek:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:22 pm 

These days, you need every advantage you can get. If you have a degree, that's great. As technology changes, you can get certification in a specific area. And there's nothing that replaces practical experience as opposed to knowing something "in theory." I don't see it as either/or, but rather learn all you can and do all you can.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:46 pm 

I have a good friend who is self-employed with two shops dealing with computers and other accessories.

I think that even if someone has all the necessary IT certifications, it is important to also think along entrepreneurial lines.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:37 pm 

If someone has hands-on experience and a proven track record in the IT field, I'm not sure how much more a degree would help. It would also depend on the supply and demand in your area. If someone has expertise that is in short supply, whether or not they have an IT degree isn't likely to matter as much.