College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Taking online classes
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:16 pm 

I am not sure but I have this perception that online classes for any IT related fields would be a bit difficult.

Would you take an online class for such a field?

Post subject: Re: Taking online classes
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:32 am 

Learning shouldn't be a problem with online classes. Actually, it might even be easier if you could watch a video lecture repeatedly. However, I don't think you could test a student online. My opinion is that the student would need to physically demonstrate that they had mastered certain skills. Theoretically, you could submit a video, but not all students are equipped to do that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:50 am 

I think it could totally be done. Think of how many other topics are taught online. And projects can be submitted online, like in any other class. As long as you have good access to the instructor, I think it can work fine.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:14 pm 

I think that it might be difficult but certainly something that can be done. I do agree testing might be difficult when there is a need for demonstration. I do think the information aspect would be simple to test though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:17 pm 

Technology makes just about anything possible in terms of communication. With video chat and conferencing, a student could demonstrate as part of an exam just as they could demonstrate by actually being there in the classroom. You would need an updated computer system which most IT students would probably have anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:22 pm 

I would actually think that being online would be the perfect way to take an IT course. There are ways to share screens which would allow you to fix a software issues with a computer without being in the room with it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:49 am 

Well, I think above all, the student needs to have some discipline, as far as doing assignments and any other thing relevant to the course outline is concerned.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:23 pm 

One of the many advantages of online classes is flexibility. A student can typically obtain the course whichever time throughout the week or day. While one obvious disadvantage with it is, it cost higher or pretty expensive that ordinary classes