College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: IT without the Math
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:14 am 

Okay, I have to admit, I went crazy trying to find a program that didn't require so much intensive math. Why? I SUCK at MATH, SO BAD. I think I must be math dyslexic. Well, in truth, I have trouble with sequencing, so I just have a hard time at it.

So I started out in computer science. Did GREAT in the programming classes. But we needed calculus. Forget it.

I tried the MIS programs, business Administration. Did great in the SQL, project management classes. SUCKED at accounting.

Every where I looked, the IT programs required an insane amount of math and I just kept hitting brick wall after brick wall.

Until I found the Information Studies program at FSU.

First, let me tell you, this comes out of what was originally their Library and Information Systems Degree. Not Math - BOOKS. AHA!

Now I LOVE to READ. I READ AND READ AND READ AND READ.

I would read so much in grade school and high school that I often didn't do my homework. But what an education I got from my reading!

At any rate - the Information Studies program at FSU has a technology track. They teach web design, database, network design, etc etc. They teach this from a project management point of view. But you get real hands on experience in designing websites in functionality, usability, etc. I am about halfway through the program and I love it!

Now granted, I've already got a solid background in programming, scripting, system administration, so I didn't come into the program with NO technical knowledge - but they were GREAT at putting it all together. I've really enjoyed the program and would highly highly recommend it to ANYONE and EVERYONE! Especially if you have a math phobia like me! :-)

http://ci.fsu.edu/

Their graduate program is wholly online. It's been GREAT!

Post subject: Re: IT without the Math
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:52 am 

Hey, thank you a lot for the great post:) I will check out the link right away!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:08 pm 

mish3v wrote:
Hey, thank you a lot for the great post:) I will check out the link right away!

Great! Good luck! Let me know what you think of it! I'd love to get your thoughts and reactions to their site!

~LV

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:51 pm 

I hit a brick wall when it came to Calculus too. Everything under that, I understood. I have never gone into computer technology or programming, although that is what I wanted to do in middle school. I guess it just sounded neat, lol.

I wish they could come up with a Pharmacy program without the Calculus! I can see needing that somewhat in computers, but in Pharmacy?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:16 am 

That's why I've always stuck to my English and History classes. I'm terrible at math. Closest I've come to using any is in doing layout design for a Pagination class.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:52 am 

i always enjoyed maths....and had maths in Graduation and post graduation...
For me History was scary...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am 

Hey, have you ever heard of dyscalculia? It's "math dyslexia" and real enough according to the world health organisation. Try a google search!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:51 pm 

You should google dyscalculia - RIGHT NOW. It's "math dyslexia". And you can get help.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:50 am 

Hmm..i hate also math. i just don't love the numbers. i don't know every time we going to start our class in math. it seems i begin to feel boring. but i know this is quite important.