College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Veterinary degrees
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:11 am 

Since there are so many different types of animals, I would think there would be a lot more for a vet to learn than a normal doctor! Would it take longer to study to become a vet?

Post subject: Re: Veterinary degrees
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:34 am 

I suppose studying to become a veterinarian takes the same number of years and relatively similar steps as studying to become a human doctor. You finish a four-year degree in university or a pre-veterinary degree program, enter veterinary school and pass the board exam.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:53 am 

I've always gotten the impression that people think it is easier or the same difficulty as becoming a doctor. But it does seem like it would be harder, doesn't it?

Then again, vets don't actually work on most animals. And they probably don't have to fix as many different kinds of problems as arise with people.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:25 am 

My cousin went to college to be a vet. He said it was extremely hard. He never graduated, but then, there are smarter people. I don't know if this is true or not, but my father always told me it was very difficult to get into vet school and that you almost have to know someone, or be extremely smart with excellent grades. I don't know if this still holds true (or if it ever did).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:36 pm 

I would think that a veterinary degree would be one of the most challenging. You don't just need to learn about cats, dogs, horses, birds, etc. You have to learn about the different species of cats, dogs, etc. that each have their own medical blueprint, so to speak.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:00 pm 

Studying to be a vet is not as easy as many people like to assume. I have a friend that quit to study an Arts degree. I think you really need to have a love for animals to start with.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:07 pm 

Yes you do end up studying and going to school for a long time. Most vets specialize in farm animals or small animals which can narrow it down and make it easier. There are also a lot of great careers as a veterinarian assistant or tech which take less time.