College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Medical transcription
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:28 pm 

I have been seriously considering learning medical transcription. It appears to be a field that will be growing in the next decade. I like the possibility of being able to work from home online. Is doing this kind of work realistically feasible to do from home??

Post subject: Re: Medical transcription
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:25 pm 

I have often thought this would be a good choice for me, too. When I look in the paper the ads always say they are looking for in-house employees, which is working for them in an office, right? The ads are few and far in between also. I would want a home position too, but it seems like it is going to be a hard thing to do.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:15 pm 

From what I've heard about this field, you have to be good at marketing your services and securing your own clients. The ads I've read downplay that aspect. However, I suppose you might do well even with just one or two steady clients.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:36 am 

I can't speak to how quickly the field is growing but I do know you have to be careful about getting involved in work at home scams. I hear that medical transcription is one of the fields that has a lot of scams trying to get people who want to work.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:50 pm 

Actually, no on the scams. My aunt has been doing this work from home for 27 years and done so for several reputable companies. The work very much lends itself to working online.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:51 pm 

MuchToLearn wrote:
Actually, no on the scams. My aunt has been doing this work from home for 27 years and done so for several reputable companies. The work very much lends itself to working online.

This sounds like something that may interest me then. Do you happen to know any reputable courses to take? Do they also recommend what companies to apply to? It sounds feasible to me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:04 pm 

MTec, as far as I know, was the original medical transcription school, at least as far as online schools go. They have a very good reputation and help with hiring upon graduation.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:54 pm 

MuchToLearn wrote:
MTec, as far as I know, was the original medical transcription school, at least as far as online schools go. They have a very good reputation and help with hiring upon graduation.

Oh great, thanks! I am going to check them out for sure. I appreciate the info. If your aunt has been doing it for 27 years then it sounds very promising.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:49 pm 

I think that as with any work from home opportunity, there are scams out there but also great companies to work for. I would definitely do your research before working for any company.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:23 am 

I hope I won't be going away from the topic but do you need a degree to do medical transcription? I'm interested in doing this job but I can't find a legitimate site that hires people to do this job. What experiences needed for a person to be hired in this kind of job?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:11 pm 

I would do some real investigations at your local hospitals before going to school for this. A lot of places are now going digital record keeping and things are already submitted as far as treatment the practitioner just needs to select what action they did.