College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: X-ray tech
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:38 am 

I always thought this would be an interesting field. I just don't want to work the health care hours--usually shift work and every other weekend.

Does anybody know what it takes to become and x-ray technician? I am wondering how long the schooling is? And what you receive for pay after becoming certified?

Post subject: Re: X-ray tech
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:28 pm 

Formal training programs vary in length between 1-4 years, but the most popular choice is a 2 year associate degree or a certificate of completion of the program. I am not trying to discourage you, but a friend of mine took x-rays in the dental field and she said it was so boring. That's the dental field though, a hospital or doctors office could be much more interesting. I'm not sure what the exact pay is, but I'm sure it's not measly.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:57 pm 

If you think that you will walk out of this training into a 9 to 5 job behind veterans that have been there for a while, think again. We all start at the bottom unless you go in with a private practice with set hours. In today's job market, you may have to take what you get.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:44 pm 

I have to chime in and point out that there is a also a much higher rate of cancer in radiologists then in the general population. That may not be something that bothers you, but it is worth looking into before you make a decision.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:19 pm 

X-ray technicians wear lead shields over their chests and stomachs that cover soft vital areas.The technicians leave the room and stand behind the walls when they push the button. The walls in medical buildings and x-ray rooms are suppose to be lined in lead also, but I don't really believe that one. How do we really know?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:13 pm 

There are technical certificated you can get and you also can take it further and find schools that offer degrees. I don't know what the pay is but I have a friend who works as one and she loves her job.