College-Pages.com
College and University Education Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Degree or Knowledge
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:26 am 

If you were to open your own business, would you really need a business degree or just enough basic classes from the local community college to understand how to operate and maintain a business? Sometimes I think we have too much education and not enough hard work!

Post subject: Re: Degree or Knowledge
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:56 pm 

First of all, I definitely agree with you that there is a shortage of people willing to work hard. Unless someone is starting a business in a field where a degree would be expected such as an accountant, I lean toward the option of taking classes and/or studying independently.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:43 am 

It depends on the kind of business you want to start. Having a degree will prepare you for the things that require knowledge in running the business and dealing with your clients. Experience is also needed but having a degree will help you much better.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:49 pm 

You do not really need a degree to have a business mind, or do you? Great men like Winston Churchill and Bill Gates did not have so many degrees but look at what they were able to achieve in their individual respects.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:47 pm 

Hmm... starting your own business, needing a degree, probably not. Wanting to work for a business, you will need one. You'll find that once you start your own you will go for the people with degrees rather than those without, too. It is simple science.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:13 pm 

I suppose you wouldn't need a degree if you had a knack and brains for business. Yes, it would depend on what kind of business too. There are not too many Bill Gates or Winston Churchills in the world (such as my self), so all the knowledge I could get, I would.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:11 pm 

That's a very good point about the Bill Gates and the Winston Churchills. These people are exceptions to the world because they are exceptional. They usually have a combination of extraordinary natural gifts and dogged determination to succeed. People like that are extremely few and far between!

They aren't proof that education isn't critical. They just prove that, every once in awhile, someone truly great changes the world, with or without an education. But an education makes anyone's chances much better.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:50 pm 

I don't think you need a degree to open a business, but taking a few classes would probably help more than hurt. If you have someone who can guide you along the way, then you might be able to learn the tools of the trade without schooling. However, if you're going in blind with no concept of developing a business plan, a budget, etc, you might run into more trouble than it's worth.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:04 pm 

My philosophy is that an educated business person will make for a more successful business person. I think the odds of success are greatly increased if one studies business.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:13 pm 

I agree with MuchToLearn. You don't need a degree to start up a business. We are all one idea away from a million dollar invention. However, the education that you gain while getting the degree will help to grow and maintain a successful business.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:53 am 

You don't need a degree to start up a business.

-----------------------------
http://www.imfifa.com/
[url=http://www.imfifa.com/]Fifa Coins[/url]