Good employees are always looking for ways to improve themselves and benefit the organization. What better way than to go back to school to get that degree. Even if your company does not have a policy set in stone you can still get them to pay for your schooling if you play your cards right. Here’s how to do it.
• Outline how your degree will assist the organization by helping you leverage your current role. Also, show them where you could end up within the organization. This will show them your ambitions and that there’s a dual benefit if you go back to school.
• Reinforce to your boss that you are committed to the organization. Assure him or her that you are planning on using your new found knowledge to help your current employer and that you are not going to bounce once you find another opportunity. They may want you to sign an agreement with them. It’s your call if you want to go down the path of signing a contract. If it’s a deal breaker then you should sign it. Just make sure the terms are fair. This is common for companies that have tuition reimbursement plans in place.
• Show your boss how their competitors have higher level degrees than you currently have and that you need it to represent the company with more clout and to stay up with the competition. Use your internet research skills to find other people with similar jobs that have the degree you want.
• Do your homework by laying out the school, program, cost and time. You need to show your boss that you have done your due diligence. You should be prepared to answer a bevy of questions that are sure to come your way. If you can’t answer the important questions then you’re likely to get shut down.
• If you get rejected them ask when you can approach the subject again. It might be a case of bad timing.
As you can see there are a variety of ways you can get your employer to reimburse your tuition. If they absolutely will not do it, then consider finding another employer that has a reimbursement plan already in place. This is a risky proposition but if you feel it is that critical to get the degree then do not limit yourself.