Located at the center of the country, Illinois serves as a hub for travel, transportation, and a host of economic activity. The “Inland Empire” is the most populous state in the Midwest and is equipped with a high-ranking system of Illinois colleges and universities. Chicago universities, Springfield colleges, and other Illinois schools offer an advantageous starting point for professionals looking to advance a local career.
Top 5 Industries for Graduates of Illinois Colleges and Universities
Graduates of ITT Technical Institute in Mount Prospect and other Illinois universities and colleges can expect to find exciting employment opportunities in the state. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the top 5 sources of employment in Illinois include:
- Illinois Trade, Transportation, and Utilities.
- Illinois Professional and Business Services.
- Illinois Government.
- Illinois Education and Health Services.
- Illinois Manufacturing.
Illinois University Graduates Enter a Strong Local Economy
Illinois lives up to its nickname as the “Inland Empire.” The most recent Illinois statistics from the U.S. Census Bureau and Department of Labor reveal:
- The 2004 Illinois gross state product was $522 billion.
- The September 2006 Illinois unemployment rate was 4%, which is below the national average.
- 6,342,000 people are employed in Illinois.
- The 2004 – 2005 Illinois median household income was $48,008, which is above the national average.
Illinois Financial Aid Programs Provide Increased Access to Illinois Colleges and Universities
Prospective students of Illinois universities and colleges have plentiful resources to finance their education. The Illinois Student Assistance Commission offers information on several Illinois financial aid programs:
- Illinois Nursing Education Scholarship Program.
- Illinois Allied Health Care Professional Scholarship Program.
- Golden Apple Scholars of Illinois.
- Illinois Monetary Award Program.
- Illinois Federal Stafford Loan Program.
- Illinois Federal Perkins Loan Program.
For more information about living and attending school in Illinois, students are encouraged to visit College-Pages.com, the leading education and career resource website. Prospective students will find an extensive list of Illinois colleges and universities as well as informative articles for making education and career decisions in the state of Illinois.