Who said you had to settle for a lousy job just because of the economy? There are plenty of great organizations filled with great people just like you that are looking to hire. Working for “The Man” doesn’t have to be a bad thing. In fact, it can be very financially and personally fulfilling. Below we take a look at what to look for in a great organization.
Great organizations do not happen by accident. They are lead by great leaders. All organizations, good or bad, rise and fall on the quality of the leadership. Leadership authors Kouzes and Posner define the top 5 greatest leadership qualities as:
• Modeling the way – they practice what they preach. Their behaviors are congruent with their actions
• Inspiring a shared vision – they know how to motivate people by capturing their imagination. Not using fear or reward.
• Challenge the Process – they are not status quo. They are innovative and thrive on change, and adversity.
• Enable others to act – they are not insecure. They empower others to reach their potential. People feel free to act because of the openness and freedom they feel- even if they make a mistake.
• Encourage the heart – they connect with people on a personal level. They show themselves as human beings not afraid to be real.
Great organizations allow people to have a balance between work and life. These organizations will give you a chance to telecommute or work a flexible schedule that allows you to pick up the kids from school and take them to soccer practice. This keeps employees happy and motivated.
You don’t want your job to be like a 9-5 version of the move Groundhog Day. Variety is the spice of life – especially at work. This keeps you on your toes and avoids boredom from setting in. You are always learning and gaining new skill sets. That’s good for you and good for the organization.
A spirit of community and family makes going to work a lot easier. When everyone is on the same page working together it’s great strattera drug. You might not be singing songs around the campfire, but you genuinely enjoy a great work environment with great people. Nothing is worse than working in a terrible atmosphere filled with backbiting, gossip, and undermining.
People who feel like they have a future at the organization they work in are much happier. It’s nice to know that you will be rewarded for your hard work. No one wants to work in a place where they keep bumping into the glass ceiling.